Thursday, July 25, 2013

Iced Coffee the Cold Brew Way

Aaaaand we're back. I promise! I'm sorry we ever left you... but if you live in the Midwest then you know how much winter SUCKED ASS this year and how easy it was to get wrapped up into summer. However, today I, Alyssa JoJo, am coming to you with a refreshing drink that will help you beat the heat! Cold brewed iced coffee! It's easy, it's yummy, and it's cold without having to water it down with a whole tray of ice cubes.  Cold brewing also provides a cleaner flavor with less acid to upset the tummy.  It's a win-win situation!

Ingredients:
1 cup of ground coffee beans
Water
Mason Jar, quart sized
Milk of choice. Example; skim milk, almond milk, etc.
1 serving of sweetener. Example; Flavored creamer, Stevia, raw sugar, etc.





Take your Mason Jar and put in 1 cup of coffee grounds. I used a funnel with this since coffee grounds are thin enough to be able to get through. Pour water into jar up until about an inch away from the lip. Cover with Mason Jar lid and shake it like a Polaroid! Let sit for 12-24 hours at room temperature out of direct sunlight. (If for some reason it's sitting longer than that please refrigerate! We've all left that one used coffee filter in the coffee pot too long... we know what happens.

















After coffee has sat for 12 hours, or however long you choose to brew, place a strainer atop a bowl. The bowl needs to be slightly smaller so that the strainer sits half way in it, not fully. 











Put coffee filter into strainer. Now, the finer mesh your strainer is, the better. I have a cheap Dollar Store strainer with big holes. This doesn't make it impossible, it just means I have a higher chance of coffee grounds getting into my strained coffee.











Pour coffee into the coffee filter and let drain. When bowl starts to be full enough where the coffee touches the bottom of the strainer pour out into a container that can go in the fridge. Don't feel bad if you have to switch to a new coffee filter. Sometimes my coffee grounds just clump together too much for me and I have to use a second one.  

Alternatively, place a funnel atop another mason jar and place a filter into that, slowly pouring contents into filter to strain (Mama Lanette's method)







And that's how you cold brew coffee. Seriously easy! Now for some amazing iced coffee. This is how I make mine! Pour eight ounces of cold brew coffee into a glass with 4 ounces of milk. Add in one packet of Stevia and mix well. Fill remaining part of glass with ice cubes. If I'm feeling cheeky I'll skip the Stevia and I'll do two tablespoons of flavored creamer for something more sweet. With the coffee, skim milk, and Stevia this iced coffee is ONLY 45 CALORIES! See what a difference making it your self does!



4 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Your coffee seems different. I like coffee very much and kopi luwak is my favorite coffee. Do you have some recipe for store it???

    Regards,
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally put it in a mason jar or just a plastic container and put it right into the refrigerator. This can last up to 5 days. Thanks for taking a look - let us know if we answered your question correctly.

      Delete
  2. I love doing this and so does Bri. I after I mix the grounds and put it in the fridge for at least 24 hours. If you make a flavored coffee you don't have to had any flavoring - just milk :) I have never liked "iced coffee" but this is so smooth and because it is cold your ice cubes don't water it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also another way to not water it down, and is very popular, is to take extra coffee and put it into a ice cube tray. Then you can put it in your iced coffee to keep it cold but don't have that watery taste at the end.

      Delete