Friday, October 5, 2012

Crock Pot Fiesta Chicken


Well,,,after being at death's door, I’m back! I suffered through family issues, a sinus infection, an eye infection, an ear infection, AND a bacterial infection. It’s that season here in chilly Wisconsin, so it was going to happen sooner or later. After whining heavily, spreading it to the BF, not being able to taste anything, and having an exhausted (and embarrassing) mental break down in front of my doctor, I’m feeling like a brand new Alyssa JoJo! Now I can focus more on doing what I do well, eating and cooking!!!

It’s come to the season where busy women bow down and show thanks for the creation of crockpots. I love my crockpot. If I could marry it I would. I got my first one from my mom after I turned 18 and it broke about a year ago, and I was a mess. Thankfully a good friend of mine just recently bought one that she never used and she gave it to me.

Yesterday when I was “working,” I “quickly” went onto a diet website that I use and saw that there was a thread about crock pot recipes. I've been seeing the words Salsa and Chicken used together a lot lately, which popped out at me because I love chicken and I LOVE salsa. I read a few things from people about it and it just was just laying some chicken on a bed of salsa in your crock pot and then eating it. Sounded simple and easy and I was totally down for the challenge. So...I put in some of Mama Lanette’s homemade salsa and some chicken breasts into the crockpot and let it go. And then I thought, “Why just chicken and salsa? So many things I love can be added into this to make this amazing.” I was not planning on having this on the blog but the heavenly thing that came out of my crockpot a few hours later was SO GOOD I just have to share it with everyone. So, while there is a lack of pictures, I promise this recipe is worth trying!!!  After I took my first bite, I proceeded to text everyone “Omg my food is soooo good.” I called Mama Lanette and told her about how if I could make love to food, this would be the dish that I would do it to.

Ingredients:
3 cups of salsa of your choice
3 to 4 decently sized skinless chicken breast
One 15.5 ounce can of black beans
10 ounces of frozen corn
Half of a bag of shredded mozzarella cheese
2 ounces of pepper jack cheese, cubed
8 ounces of sour cream.

Pour the salsa into the bottom of your crock pot and lay chicken on top. Cook on high until chicken is cooked all the way through. Remove chicken from crock pot and lay to the side and add in black beans and corn and continue to cook. Take chicken and shred into thin pieces. Place back into crock pot and add the mozzarella, pepper jack, and the sour cream. Mix well and cook high on half an hour. Mix again until all cheese is melted. Serve when ready for dinner.

Recipe Notes: I divided this up into eight cups serving wise. If you eat a cup of this it’s only 277 calories. The first night I ate it on a tortilla with some Frito chips. Tonight I will be eating it over a bed of rice. Really, there are many different ways you can eat this. You also can pick your favorite cheeses and switch them up. If you like spicy, I would suggest picking a hotter salsa – and if not, something very mild. Pick your favorite salsa and don’t be afraid of making this dish your own!

xoxo,
Alyssa JoJo

1 comment:

  1. I'm going shopping tonight and I am going to try this, thanks love! (I had an embarrassing breakdown when I had that swimmer's ear at the end of July, I was absolutely exhausted in every way lol)

    ReplyDelete