Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Vegetable Tian


Hi everyone! This is Alyssa JoJo here - and this is also my first recipe! I guess I really should start this out by explaining my kitchen. I live in a tiny, cheap, two bedroom apartment (with two roommates), so there's nothing fancy here. Most the items in my kitchen are hand me downs, knock offs, or random items I've found for really cheap. Trust me, when you are starting out a kitchen, Goodwill is your friend.  I don't have anything that most people wouldn't have in a basic kitchen, so everything you see from me will also be really easy for you to make…I promise!

Now to the first recipe... *drum roll please*... Vegetable Tian!! Please don't let the name scare you off.  While it may sound fancy pants, this recipe is simple and cheap to make.  It has a beautiful presentation and is very tasty for those who are vegetable lovers. It is quite similar to Ratatouille, which Mama Lanette will post later this week.  My two test subjects, Thing 1 and Thing 2, enjoyed it immensely. 

Vegetable Tian

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large yellow onions
1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregeno
1 large zucchini, sliced into thin coins
1 large yellow squash, sliced into thin coins
4 medium yukon or yellow potatoes, sliced into thin coins
4 Roma tomatoes, sliced into thin coins
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregeno
Celtic sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces grated Parmesan cheese

Ingredient Notes:
For this you can use more less. I'm a very big garlic buff and put plenty in. For the cheese, you can really use your favorite white cheese. I used goat cheese for mine since I surprisingly had it around the house. Also, you can use parsley over oregano, or really any other spice that is similar to those - I used oregano because it was in the house, and I did not feel like running to the store in my jammies!



 Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and adjust an oven rack to the middle of the oven. Slice both onions into coins, and preheat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium heat on your stove. Once the oil is heated, place onions in the skillet and sauté for 9 minutes. Add garlic and 1 teaspoon oregano and mix often in skillet for 1 minute.






Place in bottom of casserole dish in an even layer. Tile zucchini, yellow squash, potato, and tomato in alternating layers. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of EVOO over vegetables, and sprinkle with remaining oregano, salt, and black pepper. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese of choice.  Bake uncovered for another 25 minutes. Enjoy! I know we did...

Mmmmmm!!!!


4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious ~ and I look forward to reading (and eating!) your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comment! We are always wanting to share the food we droll over. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to make this with shallots instead of onions. Sooooooo much flaaaavooooorr!!

    ReplyDelete