Thursday, March 28, 2013

Easter Extravaganza!


Welcome to Easter Extravaganza on Feeding the Freaks!  Theserecipes were truly meant to be out earlier this week for those of you who wanted to try them this weekend for your Easter meals; however, I got extremely time crunched, and as the saying goes, "better late then never".  Alyssa JoJo will be posting her famous cola glazed ham that she makes, and I will also be making for my Easter Feast this weekend for family and friends.  I am also providing some side options, all of which will also be on my Easter Feast table this weekend, so you, my freaks, will be eating what Mama Lanette is eating.  How lucky are you! Okay, let's get this freakshow on the road! 

FYI:  I also made a crab/shrimp deviled egg recipe this week, which I wanted to post, but I feel it needs some tweaking before I can share.  I will post as soon as I perfect :-)


Alyssa JoJo’s Precious Cheesy Garlic Biscuits
Makes 12

I created this recipe a good 15 years ago for my precious Alyssa JoJo, and to this day it is still one the top most requested things for me to make her.  It is similar to the biscuits at Red Lobster, but I like them even better.  I started making double and triple batches so I could send extras home with her and her friends, a couple of whom were quite excited to hear I was posting this.  

Let’s discuss garlic, shall we?  I highly recommend making an investment in a garlic press.  It will cost you anywhere from $10-20, and they last almost forever.  Now, the garlic itself…a head of garlic costs approximately 25 cents.  Yes, a whole quarter of a dollar.  The head itself contains several cloves, more than 10, and most recipes call for 1-3, so right there you have 3 recipes at minimum for 25 cents.  Also, the taste of fresh garlic is so worth the extra (minimal) effort of pressing it yourself, it will truly convert you once you try it.  A head of garlic also lasts a long time, much like onions, so you can buy one and store it in the fridge or on the countertop and use it as needed.  The jarred minced garlic is also an option; however, it just doesn’t hold up the same if you ask me.  Go ahead and use it, though, if that is what is most convenient for you.  Keep in mind, though, when comparing jarred versus fresh garlic, the fresh is far more cost efficient and has a tastier end product.

Ingredients
2 cups Bisquick
1 cup milk
2-3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed.  Do NOT use garlic salt.  You can use jarred minced garlic if you want, and even garlic powder if you must, but do not use garlic salt.  It will destroy the biscuits to the point where you won’t even be able to eat them.
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (sharp cheddar works best, but you can use whatever you prefer)
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped (or can use ¼ cup dried parsley)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.   In a bowl, add Bisquick, garlic, and milk.  Combine until barely mixed.  Add cheese and parsley.  Combine until mixed, but still lumpy.  Do not let it get smooth like pancake batter.  Let it stay lumpy like muffin batter. 

Take a spoon and scoop up some batter.  Use a second spoon and use it to push the batter onto a baking/cookie sheet. (see photo) These are not rolled biscuits, they are drop biscuits, part of what makes this recipe so perfectly easy and beautiful.  I would suggest a cookie scoop, but alas, the batter is too sticky…

Place the biscuits in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until tops are browned.  Y’know, some people just like things more browned and baked longer than others, so I will leave that up to you.   If you aren’t sure, take one out, break it in half and take a taste.  If you don’t care for it, put them back in for a few more minutes, ‘nuff said.  See how easy that was?  See how amazed your family of bit, tall, and small freaks are, eating these spectacular freshly baked goods you made just for them?   Try it, and as always, let us know how it went!

Tip:  These work really well with other flavor variations.  Are you having Italian for dinner tonight?  Add Parmesan cheese and basil instead of parsley and cheddar.  I’ve also made them with pepperjack for a little extra kick.  Have fun and experiment.  They are even easy for the kids to help make if you want to get them involved in the cooking process.



Cornbread with a Kick
Makes 8 mini loaves or 12 muffins

Many people are shocked when I tell them I use a premade cornbread mix, but I say, what the heck?  I have made, and will continue to make, cornbread from scratch occasionally, but when an occasion arrives that requires baking multiple items, or a last minute dinner party comes up, you can’t go wrong with the premade mixes.  They are cheap, approximately 50 cents, taste great, and I’ve never had any complaints.  In fact, when I add my special additions, people are always amazed when I tell them I used a premade mix.  The SOB loves a good cornbread, and my goal is to one day duplicate the luscious creation from Famous Dave’s.  Until that time, this is a decent runner up in his mind. 
 
Ingredients
3 packages Betty Crocker brand cornbread and muffin mix
1 cup milk
6 tablespoons butter, melted
3 eggs
1 cup cheese, shredded (I used sharp cheddar, but you can try pepper jack if you want)
1/3 cup jalapenos, chopped small
Honey for drizzling

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a bowl, crack eggs and beat slightly until yolks are broken.  Add cornbread mix, milk, and butter.  Stir until just combined.  Add cheese and jalapenos and mix gently.  You don’t want to over stir, or the cornbread will be tough.  As soon as it is mixed, you can stop.  Lumps are OKAY, I promise!

Evenly divide batter amongst an 8 compartment mini loaf pan or a 12 compartment muffin pan.  I used an 8 mini loaf pan in the photos for this recipe. (I secretly love the idea of eating an entire loaf of bread, even if in mini form)  If you are not using muffin or cupcake liners, generously grease the pans before pouring the batter.  I prefer using plain old Crisco over Pam.  A small can costs only a couple dollars and lasts quite a long time. Pam just seems to destroy my bake ware.  It gums up the surfaces and is a bitch to scrub off.  I even bought the Pam for Baking once, and nothing rose, all the frigging muffins were all sunken down like “I” did something wrong.  I did this more than once, and I know for a fact it was the Pam for Baking, and not me, so there!  Just not worth saving the two minutes it takes to grab a paper towel, dip it in Crisco, and rub down the baking pans. 
 
Bake for 15-20 minutes.  To determine doneness, stick a toothpick in the center at 15 minutes.  If it comes out clean, the muffins/loaves are done.  If there is batter stuck to the toothpick, bake another 2-3 minutes and check again.  Tops should be slightly browned.

After removing from oven, let cool for a few minutes and remove from pan onto a baking rack.  While still warm, drizzle some honey on top and spread with a knife or basting brush.  Serve immediately, or let cool and store in a plastic bag or container.  These freeze well, so feel free to double the recipe for future feasts! 

Tip:  If you don’t like the heat of jalapenos, use mild green chilies (or less jalapenos).  If you want more heat, add more jalapenos or a hotter pepper.  You can tweak this to suit your own tastes.  I have also at times thrown a cup of corn kernels (canned or frozen) in with the batter to give it some extra texture, but I don’t always have corn on hand.  It tastes just as good with or without it, so do whatever you prefer.


Super Pop Popovers
Makes 6

Popovers make me happy!  They are so yummy, crusty, steamy, and custardy, and just mmmmmm…..  If you’ve never had one, you have no idea what I am talking about.  How can something be crusty and custardy at the same time?  You just have to make them and see for yourself!  This recipe makes super pop popovers; popovers that are a little bit bigger than the norm.  All the more popping over and steamy airiness waiting to delight me and make me giggle like a small child.  They are relatively easy to make.  A lot of people are afraid to make popovers, and I don’t know why.  It may have to do with the two tiered baking, 20 minutes at 450 and a second 20 minutes at 350.  Let me tell you though, the SOB can make popovers, and if he can make them, you can make them.  He has honed his culinary skills quite a bit over the past couple years, but still…he was able to make these first time without any help whatsoever, and they turned out perfectly.  Try them and discover the beauty of the popover!

Ingredients
1-1/2 cups flour
1-1/2 cups milk
3 eggs
1-1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Grease muffin or popover pan generously.  (I truly prefer and recommend using regular Crisco over Pam spray)

In a bowl, add eggs and beat until yolks are broken.  Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.  Fill muffin or popover cups evenly.  Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees for another 20 minutes.  For the bestest, steamiest, custardiest results, serve immediately with butter. *dying inside*

There are a lot of things you can do with these as far as additions, but I am a pure popover person.  The world wide web, however, offers many sites that have popover flavor variations if you want to kick things up a notch. 


Spinach Strawberry Salad

This is my favorite salad in the whole wide world…yummmmy!!!!!  I even eat it for breakfast, and quite often.  Why the heck not?  It has spinach, strawberries, cheese, and walnuts, a perfect power punch to jumpstart your day.  It is one of those food combos that literally makes me feel good.  The onion can get a little overwhelming, but I have a note in the assembly instructions about that, so be sure to read on.  It goes perfectly with chicken, ham, turkey, frittatas, beef, etc.  Enjoy!  Yummy yummy yummy!

Ingredients


1 6 ounce bag prewashed baby spinach
½ pound strawberries, washed and quartered or sliced
¼ medium red onion, very thinly sliced, and then halved
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
½ cup walnut halves or pieces
Fruity vinaigrette such as Salad Girl Pomegranate Pear, Ken’s Raspberry Walnut, Marzetti Simply Dressed Pomegranate, etc., anything that is a fruit based dressing.

In a large bowl, add spinach.  Top with strawberries, onion slices, feta, and walnuts.  Word of caution, red onions are fairly strong, and you more than likely will not use all of the slices that you cut up.  Use your best judgment when adding these to the salad.  Same with the cheese and walnuts, if you prefer less or more, use less or more. 

Immediately before serving, add vinaigrette and toss to combine ingredients.  Another serving option is to place the salad onto small individual plates and drizzle the tops with vinaigrette.  


No comments:

Post a Comment