Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Cupcakes for muh mama!

It's that time of year again! Time to celebrate Mom, which means my weekly recipe is dedicated to Mama Lanette. I was pretty lost on where to go with it, asking advice of other moms I knew on what they thought a good recipe would be. But then I really started thinking about MY mom and what SHE likes... I mean, I know she likes food, but what is it that she LOVES?! And then it came to me, wine.  Mama Lanette sure does love her wine. Don't believe me? Come on over and check out the three empty bottles of Barefoot Riesling displayed on a shelf from when she helped us move. Three bottles, one night, just her. Yes, she's classy like that. I really hope you enjoy this recipe because it's a Riesling Cupcake! Jigga wut now?! Yes that's right, I put wine and cupcakes together. Where's my reward?

Cupcake Ingredients:
2/3 cup of butter, soft
1 1/2 cup of white sugar
2 3/4 cup of flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of Riesling
3 eggs or 7 egg whites
1 teaspoon of vanilla


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together butter and sugar. Make sure the butter is soft so that this doesn't become clumpy.


Add eggs or egg whites to mixture and blend well. Add Riesling and vanilla and again, mix well.


Next we will be adding flour. Now, if you don't have a flour sifter, go get one! I was one of those people who completely didn't think that one was needed. I got one around Christmas this last year and man oh man, it DOES make a difference. It just makes everything smoother, even if it does add on a little time to your process. DO IT! GO BUY ONE! ... But yeah, add flour. You can just add it all at once and mix it, or you can add it a cup at a time, mixing well between.Then add baking powder and salt and give it one last mix.


This should make between 20-26 cupcakes depending on how much batter you put in. I use an ice cream scoop for my cupcakes. I find that this is the perfect size and helps it where they are pretty even in size.


Bake between 15-20 minutes. Stick a fork or a tooth pick in one to see if it comes out clean. If it's clean, then it's finished baking. Let cool as you make the frosting.


Frosting Ingredients:
2 cups of shortening
8 cups of powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of lemon extract or any extract of choice
6-8 ounces of heavy whipping cream


Using a mixer, beat two cups of shortening in a bowl. Do this until it becomes a creamy texture.


Cup by cup, add powdered sugar to shortening. This is not fun, nor is it clean. Don't be a jackhole like me and wear all black while doing this. With each cup it's going to become tougher to blend well but keep going. Once all 8 cups are added quickly mix in salt.


Measure out 6 ounces of heavy whipping cream. I always start out with six just in case that is enough. Blend at a very high speed with a mixer for a few minutes. If you feel like you need to, add in the extra 2 ounces of heavy whipping cream and blend again on a high speed.


Add in the flavor extract of choice and blend again. You're going to see here that mine is pink. I added in some food coloring cause once again, this recipe is for muh Mama and she loves her some pink. Frost the way you desire.


AND WALA! Here's a cupcake perfect for those wine lovers! Happy (early) Mother's Day to my lovely Mommi Dearest. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment